Mitchell 1 Manager Marks 20th Anniversary with
Major Enhancements to Streamline Workflow
To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of its shop management software, Mitchell 1 has made major enhancements in the latest edition of the software, Manager™ SE version 7.0, that will help auto repair shop owners work more efficiently.
The enhancements include:
- New Scheduler — The next generation of the shop scheduler/calendar is now built in at no additional charge. This helps shops improve workflow by maximizing available resources, including technicians, bays and equipment. Quick views by day, week and month, plus the option to quickly schedule same day appointments and warnings when resources are double-booked, give shops better control. They can create an appointment with integrated access to all of Manager SE’s estimating tools, including quick customer lookup and canned jobs, saving time and reducing double entry.
- Plate to VIN — Shops can simply enter the license plate number and Manager SE automatically provides and decodes the VIN, quickly delivering vital vehicle information such as year, make, model, engine type, service history and account details to help speed up the estimating process for service writers. This feature is also included for free and with “no strings attached” with the Manager SE subscription.
- User Interface Update — The 7.0 release has a new look and feel that is more modern in appearance and takes advantage of functionality in newer versions of the Windows operating system.
“Our goal at Mitchell 1 is to always provide solutions that will enable our shop clients to work efficiently in every aspect of the business so they can consistently deliver an outstanding repair experience to their customers,” said John Dwulet, senior product manager for Manager SE, Mitchell 1. “As we mark the 20th year of our shop management software, it’s truly remarkable to reflect on how far the industry has progressed. We’re thankful for our tens of thousands of loyal customers who have inspired the many enhancements implemented over the years.”
The Mitchell 1 shop management software got its start in September 1995 under the name Series I. Ground-breaking at the time, the Windows-based shop management system offered auto repair shops the ability to quickly access details about their customers’ vehicles and their business operations that they previously had to look up manually in hard copies of repair orders, invoices, parts orders and employee time cards. The solution was available to single users and was originally delivered on five floppy discs, purchased outright by the customer.
Highlights of the software’s evolution include:
- 1999 — CD-ROMS replaced floppy discs
- 2002 — The first electronic parts catalog integration
- 2004 — The product was renamed Manager
- 2005 — Launch of the Manager Forum, an interactive community of product users; currently has over 50,000 posts from active users sharing ideas, asking questions and communicating with other shop owners and auto service professionals
- 2007 — Electronic parts catalog for NAPA, CARQUEST and O’Reilly were added, and high-speed Internet connectivity allowed shops to order parts directly from their shop management system
- 2009 — Transition to the SQL database platform with SE added to the product name (Manager SE) to mark the new generation of the software
- 2010-2015 — Subsequent software releases introduced Auto Updater (Internet software updates), an electronic tire catalog and numerous functionality updates incorporated into the product based on feedback from customers
In addition to the product enhancements timed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Manager, Mitchell 1 kicked off a year-long celebration of the anniversary at the AAPEX show in Las Vegas. Mitchell 1 had one of the very first users of the shop management system (Series I), Paul Lannon, owner of Paul’s Automotive in Baltimore, Md., at their booth to greet visitors and share his insights and experiences with the Manager SE system.